Saturday 17 February 2018

Praying for rain

In Britain we often moan about the rain. We little appreciate the blessing that is frequent and abundant rain. Those few of us who are farmers and gardeners probably appreciate it more, and we would certainly appreciate it more if we ran out of water, as is happening in Cape Town, for example. Here in the Holy Land water is a constant concern, especially for the Palestinians, who usually get less of the water supply than the Israelis.

One recurring theme of my prayers here has therefore been to ask for more rain. But as I have told the brothers, I don't go to the lengths of Honi 'the Circle-Drawer', a first-century-B.C. charismatic Jewish scholar:

Once they said to Honi the Circle-Drawer, "Pray that rain may fall."
    He answered, "Go out and bring in the Passover ovens [made of clay] that they be not softened."
    He prayed, but the rain did not fall. What did he do? He drew a circle and stood within it and said before God, "O Lord of the world, your children have turned their faces to me, for I am like a son of the house before you. I swear by your great name that I will not stir from here until you have pity on your children."
    Rain began falling drop by drop. He said, "Not for such rain have I prayed, but for rain that will fill the cisterns, pits, and caverns."
    It began to rain with violence. He said, "Not for such rain have I prayed, but for rain of goodwill, blessing, and graciousness."
    Then it rained in moderation, until the Israelites had to go up from Jerusalem to the Temple Mount because of the rain. They went to him and said, "Just as you prayed for the rain to come, so pray that it may go away!"
    (Mishnah Taanit 3:8)

No comments:

Post a Comment